Wednesday 6 January 2016

Christmas 2015 - Santa's last stand?

Littleboy 2's Christmas letter
I can't help wondering if this will be the last year of belief in Santa. Littleboy 2 is already deeply suspicious. He keeps asking questions about how he manages to deliver all the presents, and wondering why no-one ever, actually, gets put on the naughty list, despite their bad behaviour. There were also comments about why the reindeer ate less carrot than last year (answer: I was so stuffed with mince pies on Christmas Eve I couldn't even fit in half a carrot) and today, he enquired why we don't write thank-you letters to Santa. He did write a very sweet letter to Santa warning him not to get squashed in our very small fireplace -- but I think maybe he was just humouring me.

Littleboy 1, although older, won't hear a word said against the possible non-existence of Santa. This despite several children at school having told him "it's your parents" (have these kids not heard of spoilers?). He even commented that, if it weren't true, it would be terrible, because then you would have to endure being a grown-up and know there was no Santa. (That's a good point, actually....).

While in some ways it would be easier, (I wouldn't have to find different wrapping paper and gift tags for Santa's presents, and have to spend ages doing special curly writing for the tags -- yes, though small children don't notice these things, big children do) it will be terribly sad when they do stop believing. As an adult, Christmas becomes less about excitement and more about getting everything done -- but the sight of the children's pure delight as they opened their stockings meant December 25th was still one of 2015's best days for me.
Looking back at the ghosts of Christmas blogs past, I see that I've blogged before about The Calpol Christmas (2008) and The Lego Christmas (2013). Well this year, books were the dominant feature of the boys' Christmas: partly because I'd decided no more Lego for the moment. (I'm not being mean; they have a whole playroom full of the stuff, and now that their themed models have mosty fallen apart, they are quite happy to make new creations out of the old Lego).

I bought them books; Father Christmas bought them books; relatives bought them books, partly directed by me. They even bought each other books: Littleboy 2 gave Littleboy 1 "Magnus Chase," the new book by "Percy Jackson" author Rick Riordan, which he was terribly pleased by, while Littleboy 2 received several David Walliams books, and from me, "Five Children on the Western Front" by Kate Saunders, which I'm really looking forward to reading too. Sticking with the literary theme, we gave Littleboy 1 a Tintin-themed duvet cover; Littleboy 2 has a Roald Dahl duvet from last year.

Meanwhile Littleboy 2 also had something of a Tiger-themed Christmas, fuelling a long-held obsesssion. He'd written to Santa requesting "something to do with tigers," so I adopted him a tiger through WWF. It came in a box with a tiny tiger cub toy, a "child" for his original, much-loved WWF tiger toy, and we'll apparently get monthly updates on the tiger, who lives in Nepal; I hope, though, we don't have to visit, as she's a tigress with two cubs, and I'm sure they're not as cute and cuddly in the flesh.

Happy new year!





4 comments:

Expat mum said...

Ah - I could have helped you with the wrapping paper thing. Santa has enough to do schlepping presents around the world so he asks parents to leave paper out for his elves. That's why the paper is the same.
My son (now 12 and presumably "enlightened") was still into Santa last year, but this year he was never mentioned. I was wondering how the transition would go but it just happened seamlessly.

Anonymous said...

Children make Christmas. The look on their faces when Santa delivers presents is heartwarming. Love your book themed gifts. The tiger interest is great. I hope you make a trip to Africa to see the wildlife. This seems like the next step! Tigers in the wild. A little boy's dream! Susan

Mwa said...

And Happy New Year to you.
I feel for you! It seems Santa is even more trouble than Sinterklaas.
Hint on the carrots: you can put them in the bottom of the bin. No need to eat them.

ADDY said...

I remember my small daughter coming home in floods of tears because an much older child at school had burst her bubble and said there was no such thing as Santa. Considering my reply was completely off the cuff and had no real thought behind it, it was sheer genius. I said "well, the trouble is, Santa only comes to those who believe in him. If you don't,he won't". We got several more years out of the Santa magic after that.